[SLUG] Mac Air advice
Voytek
2015-03-24 03:02:16 UTC
Someone had asked me for Mac Air advice, know nothing about Mac, looking on Apple site, only choices I see is faster CPU, more RAM, more storage.

more RAM and more storage, yes, is it worthwhile for a faster CUP?

Can Photoshop be used on Air?
Anything else to get?

Thanks,
Voytek
Jeremy Visser
2015-03-24 07:11:47 UTC
Post by Voytek
Someone had asked me for Mac Air advice, know nothing about Mac,
looking on Apple site, only choices I see is faster CPU, more RAM,
more storage.
more RAM and more storage, yes, is it worthwhile for a faster CUP?
Max out the RAM when you buy it because you cannot upgrade it after-the-fact because it is soldered to the motherboard (unlike the MacBook Pro, or most other laptops).

I had a choice between an Intel i5 or i7 when I bought mine, but I feel the i7 was a waste because the laptop overheats when doing anything CPU-intensive like encoding video, so the extra CPU grunt is not worth it in my opinion.

But then again, you can't upgrade after-the-fact, so if you can afford the optional extra, go for it.

Put it this way: I don't regret spending the extra money on the i7 even though I don't need it. But I do massively regret not spending the extra money on the RAM because now it is too late.
Voytek
2015-03-24 12:09:24 UTC
On 24 March 2015 6:11:47 pm AEDT, Jeremy Visser <***@sunriseroad.net> wrote:

Jeremy, Rachel,
thanks for the info.
Post by Jeremy Visser
after-the-fact because it is soldered to the motherboard
Thanks for pointing this out.

Is there any advantage in getting Apple optical drive over a third party optical drive?
Jeremy Visser
2015-03-24 12:28:18 UTC
Post by Voytek
Is there any advantage in getting Apple optical drive over a third party optical drive?
I solved that conundrum by not using an optical drive at all (I don’t even miss it), so I’m afraid I have no opinion there.