[SLUG] Website
Heracles
2015-09-09 13:12:44 UTC
I must congratulate the webmaster for turning an easy to navigate site
into a nightmare. I know my system is a bit dated. (I am using Debian 8
with enlightenment e17 as a desktop.)
I used to find it easy to navigate the SLUG Site, now I cant get past
the front page - which is worse than useless!

Heracles
Mark Walkom
Rick Phillips
2015-09-13 07:18:22 UTC
I agree with you Heracles. In fact not one of the menu items (on the
top of the page) works.

Most pages simple tell the world that nginx is being used as the web server.

A bit sad really.

Regards,

Rick
David
2015-09-19 00:36:20 UTC
Not a great advertisement for Linux in Sydney :(

Whoever is looking after the website, isn't. Does SLUG need a new
website sponsor? or is the organisation passed it's use by date? T'would
be a pity indeed.

David
--
David McQuire
0418 310312
Amos Shapira
2015-09-13 20:31:22 UTC
I agree the site doesn't give a great shot of confidence in Linux as a web
server, it doesn't render any page to completion for me.

There is a link to "See the code" which points to
https://github.com/sydney-linux-user-group/slug/commits/master, where the
last commit happened over three years ago (29 May 2012), so perhaps it's
just a case of deterioration more than active change.

--Amos
James Gray
2015-09-21 02:00:54 UTC
Is "deterioration" a kinder way of saying "neglect"? ;)

Well, we *can *moan and criticise, but can anyone step up and give ye olde
web page a shot in the arm? I'll bow up now as I am NOT a UI person. Hell,
anything much beyond to command line is far to fancy for my taste! Just
interested what the SLUG process is for getting the community engaged -
this is obviously something we've noticed, and don't like, so how can we
change it?
--
James
Darin McLean

Tom Worthington
2015-10-04 22:04:02 UTC
... give ye olde web page a shot in the arm? ...
Here is my attempt to remove the bits from the Slug website which don't
work and put in simple links to the bits which do work. The result is
not pretty, but at least it should work:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<head>
<title>Sydney Linux User Group</title>
</head>

<h1>
Sydney Linux User Group
</h1>
The Sydney Linux Users Group (SLUG) is a community of passionate
freedom and technology lovers in Sydney, Australia. Join the
Meetup</a> for details of the next event, to be a sponsor, or
offer a short <em>lightning</em> talk, or a longer presentation.
Slug meets at 6pm on the last Friday, most months, at <a href=

"http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;q=+48+Pirrama+Road%2C+Pyrmont%2C+au">
Google Sydney</a>.
We are one of the largest and most active of <a href=
"http://linux.org.au/usergroups">Australia's users groups</a> for
the Linux free and open-source computer operating system, with a
diverse membership of users, developers, sysadmins, and advocates.
Also:
<ul>
<li>
"https://www.youtube.com/user/sydneylinuxusergroup">Videos of
Slug Events</a>
</li>
<li>
on Twitter
</li>
<li>
to Slug Email List</a>
</li>
</ul>

Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia http://www.tomw.net.au
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards
Legislation

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/
Marghanita da Cruz
2015-09-22 23:16:31 UTC
Hi All,

How about a hackfest of the website at the SLUG meeting on Friday evening.

Who has the passwords? Do we have to recover them?

Marghanita
Tom Worthington
2015-09-14 22:54:00 UTC
... SLUG Site, now I cant get past the front page ...
On the Slug home page I see a row of menu items across the top: "Home |
Events | Archives | Mailing Lists | Get the code!": http://www.slug.org.au/

Here is what happens when I select them:

* Home: takes me to the same page (as expected).
* Events: displays the text "SLUG Events", with a yellow rectangle below
it, but no actual events.
* Archives: displays the text "Welcome to nginx!" but no archives
* Mailing List: displays "Welcome to nginx!" but no mailing lists.
* Get the code!: takes me to GitHub with a repository of Slug stuff, but
why?

Below these menu items it says "Sydney Linux User Group" and there is a
paragraph describing the group (which makes sense).

Then below that it says "#sydlug @slugupdates both Loading tweets..."
which does not make much sense. I assume these are the hastag, twitter
address and a list of recent Tweets is then supposed to appear (but
thankfully does not: who would want this?).

Next to that is "Previously at SLUG.... (more on YouTube) Enabled HTML5
Video!" with a video window underneath. I have video turned off by
default so thankfully nothing plays (why would I want it to?).

Below that is "Attend the next meeting, Sponsor An event or SLUG as a
whole, Give a talk Educate your fellows". Here is what I get when
selecting each:

* ATTEND: "Traceback (most recent call last):
File
"/base/data/home/runtimes/python/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/webapp/_webapp25.py",
line 715, in __call__
handler.get(*groups)
File
"/base/data/home/apps/s~sydney-linux-user-group-hr/8.353599326443764872/events.py",
line 26, in get
self.redirect(event_lists.get_next_event().get_url())
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_url'"

* SPONSOR: Creates an email with the address
"***@slug.org.au&subject=Sponsoring SLUG". I assume "Sponsoring
SLUG" is supposed to be in the subject line, but is not.

* GIVE A TALK: Opens a window asking for my Open Id to log into the Slug
website, but why?

I suggest:

1. Replace the video and the twitter feed windows with hypertext links.
2. Delete "Get the code!"
3. Get the other menu options to work.

ps: I am using Firefox 40.0.3 for Linux.

Marghanita da Cruz
2015-09-21 05:27:14 UTC
The SLUG AGM must be coming up.
Any nominations for committee - webmaster?

Marghanita
[...]
Telephone: 0414-869202
http://www.ramin.com.au